Current:Home > MyPrince Harry and Meghan Markle Officially Move Out of Frogmore Cottage -MarketLink
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Officially Move Out of Frogmore Cottage
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 09:04:04
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just made another royal exit.
Three years after stepping back as working members of the U.K. royal family, the pair have given up Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. The news also comes months after the couple were asked to leave the royal residence, which was renovated for them and where they have stayed during occasional trips since they moved to the United States in 2020.
"We can confirm that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have vacated Frogmore Cottage," Sir Michael Stevens, keeper of the Privy Purse, said at the annual Sovereign Grant account briefing on royal finances, Sky News reported June 29. "We will not be going into any detail on those arrangements here."
He added, "Safe to say that, as has previously been stated, the duke and duchess have paid for the expenditure incurred by the Sovereign Grant in relation to the renovation of Frogmore Cottage, thus leaving the Crown with a greatly enhanced asset."
In March, a spokesperson for the couple confirmed to E! News that "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage." NBC News reached out to Buckingham Palace at the time but did not receive any comment.
The news came more than a month after the release of Harry's controversial memoir, Spare, in which he criticized the Royal family.
In the book, he talked about how he and Meghan acquired Frogmore Cottage, explaining that in 2019, when she was pregnant with their now-4-year-old son Prince Archie, his grandmother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, offered the home to him as an official residence after he told her that they "needed a new place to live." He further noted that their Nottingham Cottage home in Kensington Palace was "charming but too small."
Prior to moving in, the couple had Frogmore Cottage renovated, transforming five apartment units to a single residence. Harry noted that the Queen gave him and Meghan the permission to pursue the project to, as he put in, "make the place habitable."
The project cost 2.4 million British pounds ($3 million) and was initially covered by the Sovereign Grant, which comes from the U.K. Treasury and funds the costs of the Royal family's households and travel expenses. Harry and Meghan sparked a public backlash over their use of government money and ultimately repaid the renovation costs.
In mid-2020, the couple—now also parents to daughter Princess Lilibet, 2—relocated to the United States, buying a $14 million home in the duchess' native California. Harry last visited Frogmore Cottage in earlier this month during a trip to London to testify against Mirror Group Newspapers Ltd. in a phone hacking case, to which the company has denied any wrongdoing.
In their 2022 Netflix docuseries Harry & Meghan, Harry spoke about leaving the U.K. after stepping back as working Royals.
"We always saw Archie running around the garden at Frogmore Cottage and maybe jumping in the Queen's pond," he said. "That was all part of our future, and everything changed really, really quickly. We knew that we were going to get some breathing space from this very painful experience that we'd been stuck in, but also it was really sad."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (4)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Recommendation
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health