Current:Home > ContactOklahoma Supreme Court will consider Tulsa Race Massacre reparations case -MarketLink
Oklahoma Supreme Court will consider Tulsa Race Massacre reparations case
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:08:52
The Oklahoma Supreme Court will consider a case seeking reparations for survivors of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre, known as one of the worst acts of racial violence in U.S. history.
Tulsa County District Judge Caroline Wall dismissed the case last month, and the last three known survivors, Lessie Benningfield Randle, Viola Fletcher and Hughes Van Ellis Sr., filed an appeal with the state’s supreme court. Last week, the court agreed to consider whether the suit should have been dismissed and if it should be returned to the lower court.
The lawsuit, filed in 2020, said the massacre was an “ongoing public nuisance” to the survivors, and the decimation of what had been America's most prosperous Black business community continues to affect Tulsa.
"The survivors of the Tulsa Race Massacre are heroes, and Oklahoma has had 102 years to do right by them," their attorney, Damario Solomon-Simmons, said in a statement to The Associated Press. "The state's efforts to gaslight the living survivors, whitewash history, and move the goal posts for everyone seeking justice in Oklahoma puts all of us in danger, and that is why we need the Oklahoma Supreme Court to apply the rule of law."
The city and other defendants declined to consider a settlement with the survivors, court documents show.
Following the massacre, the city “exacerbated the damage and suffering” of the Greenwood community by unlawfully detaining thousands and using unconstitutional laws to deprive the community of “reasonable use of their property,” the lawsuit said.
Assistant Attorney General Kevin McClure filed a response to the appeal Monday, where he said the suit was based on “conflicting historical facts” from more than century ago and should be dismissed.
The city of Tulsa declined to comment on the case.
What happened in the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre?
In the early 1900s, the 40 blocks to the north of downtown Tulsa boasted 10,000 residents, hundreds of businesses, medical facilities an airport and more. In the summer of 1921, a violent white mob descended on Greenwood District — an affluent Black community — burning, looting and destroying more than 1,000 homes, along with Black Wall Street, a thriving business district.
Historians estimate the death toll to be between 75 and 300 people.
The city and insurance companies never compensated victims for their losses, and the massacre ultimately resulted in racial and economic disparities that still exist today, the lawsuit claims. In the years following the massacre, according to the lawsuit, city and county officials actively thwarted the community's effort to rebuild and neglected the Greenwood and predominantly Black north Tulsa community in favor of overwhelmingly white parts of Tulsa.
The suit contended that the city's long history of racial division and tension are rooted in the massacre, which was perpetrated by members of the Tulsa Police Department, Tulsa County Sheriff's Department, the National Guard, and city and county leaders, among others.
It also alleged that the lack of investment in the Greenwood District and other historically and predominantly Black areas of Tulsa after the massacre had exacerbated the damage and suffering.
Problems were further compounded when "in 2016, the Defendants began enriching themselves by promoting the site of the Massacre as a tourist attraction," according to the suit.
A Chamber of Commerce attorney previously said that while the massacre was a horrible incident, there was no ongoing nuisance.
Contributing: The Associated Press
veryGood! (373)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Arrest warrant issued for man in fatal shooting of off-duty Chicago police officer
- Up To 70% Off at Free People? Yes Please! Shop Their Must-Have Styles For Less Now
- Loved ones await recovery of 2 bodies from Baltimore bridge wreckage a month after the collapse
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- What does Harvey Weinstein's case overturn mean for his California conviction?
- College protesters vow to keep demonstrations as schools shut down encampments amid reports of antisemitism
- Wild onion dinners mark the turn of the season in Indian Country
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Former Michigan basketball coach Juwan Howard hired as Brooklyn Nets assistant, per report
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Tornadoes kill 2 in Oklahoma as governor issues state of emergency for 12 counties amid storm damage
- Body of climber recovered after 1,000-foot fatal fall on Alaska peak
- Republic First Bank closes, first FDIC-insured bank to fail in 2024
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Paramedic sentenced to probation in 2019 death of Elijah McClain after rare conviction
- Chic & Comfy Maxi Skirts That Will Effortlessly Elevate Your Summer Style
- Brewers' Wade Miley will miss rest of 2024 season as Tommy John strikes another pitcher
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Jon Gosselin Reveals He Lost More Than 30 Pounds on Ozempic—and What He Now Regrets
She called 911 to report abuse then disappeared: 5 months later her family's still searching
Harvey Weinstein hospitalized after his return to New York from upstate prison
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Former NFL lineman Korey Cunningham found dead in New Jersey at age 28
Here's how much income it takes to be considered rich in your state
See inside Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow's former New York townhouse that just went on sale