Current:Home > ContactJohnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case -MarketLink
Johnson & Johnson reaches $700 million settlement in talc baby powder case
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 04:06:45
Johnson & Johnson has agreed to pay $700 million in a nationwide settlement resolving allegations that it misled customers about the safety of its talcum-based powder products in its marketing.
"Consumers rely on accurate information when making decisions about which products to purchase for their families," Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, one of 43 attorneys general involved in the lawsuit, said in a statement Tuesday. "Any company — no matter how large — must be held accountable when laws protecting consumers are broken and their trust is violated."
As part of the settlement, which is still pending judicial approval, the health products giant will permanently stop the manufacturing, promotion and sale of all of its baby powder and other body and cosmetic products that contain talcum powder. That includes Johnson's Baby Powder and Johnson & Johnson's Shower to Shower. The company decided to pull talc-based powders off the market in North America in 2020.
J&J will make four settlement payments, starting at the end of July, to 42 states and Washington, D.C., according to the settlement.
In a statement, J&J's worldwide vice president of litigation, Erik Hass, said the company "continues to pursue several paths to achieve a comprehensive and final resolution of the talc litigation. That progress includes the finalization of a previously announced agreement that the Company reached with a consortium of 43 State Attorneys Generals to resolve their talc claims. We will continue to address the claims of those who do not want to participate in our contemplated consensual bankruptcy resolution through litigation or settlement."
The $700 million settlement is the latest development in decade-long legal battles and investigations into links between cancer and the talc used in one of its best-known products. More than 50,000 claims have been filed against the company, mostly on behalf of women who developed ovarian cancer.
Earlier this month, a jury in Oregon awarded $260 million to a local woman who claimed that the company's baby powder products were "directly responsible" for her cancer diagnosis in 2003. In April, a jury awarded $45 million to the family of an Illinois woman who died in 2020 from mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in J&J powder.
Last month, J&J offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle the talc-powder lawsuits.
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Class-Action Lawsuit
Khristopher J. Brooks is a reporter for CBS MoneyWatch. He previously worked as a reporter for the Omaha World-Herald, Newsday and the Florida Times-Union. His reporting primarily focuses on the U.S. housing market, the business of sports and bankruptcy.
TwitterveryGood! (38721)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- A record on the high seas: Cole Brauer to be first US woman to sail solo around the world
- Crew Dragon docks with space station, bringing four fresh crew members to the outpost
- Man convicted of New York murder, dismemberment in attempt to collect woman's life insurance
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- EAGLEEYE COIN: El Salvador Educates Students on Bitcoin
- Crew Dragon docks with space station, bringing four fresh crew members to the outpost
- Hollowed Out
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Julianne Hough Shares How She Supported Derek Hough and His Wife Hayley Erbert Amid Health Scare
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- 'Real horsepower': See video of runaway horses galloping down Ohio highway
- Russian drone attack kills 7 in Odesa, Ukraine says
- Whole Foods Market plans to launch smaller Daily Shops; first to open in New York in 2024
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- A new satellite will track climate-warming pollution. Here's why that's a big deal
- A woman wins $3.8 million verdict after SWAT team searches wrong home based on Find My iPhone app
- MH370 vanished a decade ago and search efforts stopped several years later. A U.S. company wants to try again.
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Julianne Hough Shares How She Supported Derek Hough and His Wife Hayley Erbert Amid Health Scare
EAGLEEYE COIN: Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Hubs for Secure and Trustworthy Digital Assets
Kennedy Ryan's new novel, plus 4 other new romances by Black authors
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Conspiracies hinder GOP’s efforts in Kansas to cut the time for returning mail ballots
California man is first in the US to be charged with smuggling greenhouse gases, prosecutors say
RuPaul Charles opens up about addiction, self-worth: 'Real power comes from within'