Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -MarketLink
Rekubit Exchange:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 06:58:24
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Rekubit Exchangeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (63815)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Score Up to 60% Off On Good American Jeans, Dresses, and More At Nordstrom Rack
- Federal inquiry details abuses of power by Trump's CEO over Voice of America
- Cue the Fireworks, Kate Spade’s 4th of July Deals Are 75% Off
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- An African American Community in Florida Blocked Two Proposed Solar Farms. Then the Florida Legislature Stepped In.
- Save 57% On Sunday Riley Beauty Products and Get Glowing Skin
- Overwhelmed by Solar Projects, the Nation’s Largest Grid Operator Seeks a Two-Year Pause on Approvals
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Twitter's concerning surge
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Occidental Seeks Texas Property Tax Abatements to Help Finance its Long-Shot Plan for Removing Carbon Dioxide From the Atmosphere
- Montana banned TikTok. Whatever comes next could affect the app's fate in the U.S.
- Get Your Skincare Routine Ready for Summer With This $12 Ice Roller That Shoppers Say Feels Amazing
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- With Epic Flooding in Eastern Kentucky, the State’s Governor Wants to Know ‘Why We Keep Getting Hit’
- DEA moves to revoke major drug distributor's license over opioid crisis failures
- At COP27, the US Said It Will Lead Efforts to Halt Deforestation. But at Home, the Biden Administration Is Considering Massive Old Growth Logging Projects
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Toyota to Spend $35 Billion on Electric Push in an Effort to Take on Tesla
Shop These American-Made Brands This 4th of July Weekend from KitchenAid to Glossier
Congress could do more to fight inflation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Gen Z workers are exhausted — and seeking solutions
Can Wolves and Beavers Help Save the West From Global Warming?
Teen Mom’s Kailyn Lowry Confirms She Privately Welcomed Baby No. 5