Current:Home > FinanceAustralian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content -MarketLink
Australian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 09:35:31
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s online safety watchdog said on Monday it had fined X — the social media platform formerly known as Twitter — 610,500 Australian dollars ($385,000) for failing to fully explain how it tackled child sexual exploitation content.
Australia’s eSafety Commission describes itself as the world’s first government agency dedicated to keeping people safe online.
The commission issued legal transparency notices early this year to X and other platforms questioning what they were doing to tackle a proliferation of child sexual exploitation, sexual extortion and the livestreaming of child sexual abuse.
eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said X and Google had not complied with the notices because both companies had failed to adequately respond to a number of questions.
The platform renamed X by its new owner Elon Musk was the worst offender, providing no answers to some questions including how many staff remained on the trust and safety team that worked on preventing harmful and illegal content since Musk took over, Inman Grant said.
“I think there’s a degree of defiance there,” Inman Grant said.
“If you’ve got a basic H.R. (human resources) system or payroll, you’ll know how many people are on each team,” she added.
X did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
After Musk completed his acquisition of the company in October last year, he drastically cut costs and shed thousands of jobs.
X could challenge the fine in the Australian Federal Court. But the court could impose a fine of up to AU$780,000 ($493,402) per day since March when the commission first found the platform had not complied with the transparency notice.
The commission would continue to pressure X through notices to become more transparent, Inman Grant said.
“They can keep stonewalling and we’ll keep fining them,” she said.
The commission issued Google with a formal warning for providing “generic responses to specific questions,” a statement said.
Google regional director Lucinda Longcroft said the company had developed a range of technologies to proactively detect, remove and report child sexual abuse material.
“Protecting children on our platforms is the most important work we do,” Longcroft said in a statement. “Since our earliest days we have invested heavily in the industrywide fight to stop the spread of child sexual abuse material,” she added.
veryGood! (996)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Jelly Roll Reveals Why His Private Plane Had to Make an Emergency Landing
- Score 50% Off Gymshark Shirts and Shorts, 50% Off Beachwaver Rotating Curling Irons & Today’s Best Deals
- Toby Keith's Children Make Rare Red Carpet Appearance at 2024 CMT Awards 2 Months After His Death
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- South Carolina finishes perfect season with NCAA championship, beating Clark and Iowa 87-75
- Solar eclipse 2024 live updates: See latest weather forecast, what time it hits your area
- How Amber Riley Feels About Glee Family 15 Years Later
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- When is the next total solar eclipse in the US after 2024 and what is its path? What to know
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Cargo ship stalled near bridge on NY-NJ border, had to be towed for repairs, officials say
- 'Just married!': Don Lemon, Tim Malone share wedding pics
- Campbell “Pookie” Puckett and Jett Puckett Prove Their Red Carpet Debut Is Fire at CMT Music Awards
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Drake Bell Defends Josh Peck From “Attack” After Quiet on Set
- 'Quiet on Set' new episode: Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
- Total solar eclipse 2024: Watch livestream of historic eclipse from path of totality
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Kelsea Ballerini talks honest songwriting and preparing to host the CMT Awards
When is the next total solar eclipse in the US after 2024 and what is its path? What to know
French diver Alexis Jandard slips during Paris Olympic aquatics venue opening ceremony
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Will China flood the globe with EVs and green tech? What’s behind the latest US-China trade fight
WWE is officially in a new era, and it has its ‘quarterback’: Cody Rhodes
See the list of notable past total solar eclipses in the U.S. since 1778