Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving -MarketLink
SignalHub-Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:32:19
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush,SignalHub the owner and pilot of the doomed Titan sub, had offered millionaire Jay Bloom and his son discounted tickets to ride on it, and claimed it was safer than crossing the street, a Facebook post from Bloom said. The sub suffered a "catastrophic implosion" on its dive to view the Titanic earlier this week, killing Rush and the other four people on board.
On Thursday, just hours after the Coast Guard announced that the wreckage of the sub had been found, Bloom, a Las Vegas investor, revealed texts he had exchanged with Rush in the months leading up to the trip.
In one text conversation in late April, Rush reduced the price of the tickets from $250,000 to $150,000 per person to ride the submersible on a trip scheduled for May. As Bloom contemplated the offer, his son Sean raised safety concerns over the sub, while Rush — who once said he'd "broken some rules" in its design — tried to assure them.
"While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying a helicopter or even scuba diving," Rush wrote, according to a screen shot of the text exchange posted by Bloom.
Bloom said that in a previous in-person meeting with Rush, they'd discussed the dive and its safety.
"I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong," Bloom wrote, adding, "He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street."
Ultimately, the May trip was delayed until Father's Day weekend in June, and Bloom decided not to go.
"I told him that due to scheduling we couldn't go until next year," Bloom wrote. "Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19 year old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion (the fifth being Hamish Harding)."
Bloom wasn't the only one who backed out of the trip. Chris Brown, a friend of Harding and self-described "modern explorer," told CNN earlier this week he decided to not go because it "seemed to have too many risks out of my control" and didn't come across as a "professional diving operation." David Concannon, an Idaho-based attorney and a consultant for OceanGate Expeditions, said over Facebook that he canceled due to an "urgent client matter."
The U.S. Coast Guard said it would continue its investigation of the debris from the sub, found near the Titanic shipwreck site, to try to determine more about how and when it imploded.
Industry experts and a former employee's lawsuit had raised serious safety concerns about OceanGate's operation years before the sub's disappearance. In 2018, a professional trade group warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
"Titanic" director James Cameron, an experienced deep-sea explorer who has been to the wreckage site more than 30 times, said that "OceanGate shouldn't have been doing what it was doing."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- OceanGate
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (245)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Eagles 6-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Fletcher Cox announces his retirement after 12 seasons
- Why you should stop texting your kids at school
- Hailee Steinfeld Proves All That Glitters Is Gold With Stunning 2024 Oscars Look
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Issa Rae's Hilarious Oscars 2024 Message Proves She's More Than Secure
- Emma Stone, America Ferrera and More Best Dressed at Oscars 2024
- Liverpool and Man City draw 1-1 in thrilling Premier League clash at Anfield
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Theft of cheap gold-chain necklace may have led to fatal beating of Arizona teen, authorities say
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Lionel Messi injury: Here’s the latest before Inter Miami vs. Montreal, how to watch Sunday
- Costco is tapping into precious metals: First gold bars sold out now silver coins are too
- Heidi Klum, Tiffany Haddish and More Stars Stun at the Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars 2024 Party
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Hailee Steinfeld Proves All That Glitters Is Gold With Stunning 2024 Oscars Look
- Da’Vine Joy Randolph wins her first Oscar after being a favorite for her work in ‘The Holdovers’
- See Kate Middleton in First Official Photo Since Her Abdominal Surgery
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Great Barrier Reef undergoing mass coral bleaching event for 5th time in nearly a decade
National Guard helicopter crashes in Texas: 3 killed include 2 soldiers, 1 US border agent
Liverpool fans serenade team with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' rendition before Man City match
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Boeing says it can’t find work records related to door panel that blew out on Alaska Airlines flight
Emma Stone, America Ferrera and More Best Dressed at Oscars 2024
Fletcher Cox announces retirement after 12 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles