Current:Home > FinanceTikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban -MarketLink
TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:13:23
TikTok on Thursday pushed back against U.S. government arguments that the popular social media platform is not shielded by the First Amendment, comparing its platform to prominent American media organizations owned by foreign entities.
Last month, the Justice Department argued in a legal brief filed in a Washington federal appeals court that neither TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, nor the platform’s global and U.S. arms — TikTok Ltd. and TikTok Inc. — were entitled to First Amendment protections because they are “foreign organizations operating abroad” or owned by one.
TikTok attorneys have made the First Amendment a key part of their legal challenge to the federal law requiring ByteDance to sell TikTok to an approved buyer or face a ban.
On Thursday, they argued in a court document that TikTok’s U.S. arm doesn’t forfeit its constitutional rights because it is owned by a foreign entity. They drew a parallel between TikTok and well-known news outlets such as Politico and Business Insider, both of which are owned by German publisher Axel Springer SE. They also cited Fortune, a business magazine owned by Thai businessman Chatchaval Jiaravanon.
“Surely the American companies that publish Politico, Fortune, and Business Insider do not lose First Amendment protection because they have foreign ownership,” the TikTok attorneys wrote, arguing that “no precedent” supports what they called “the government’s dramatic rewriting of what counts as protected speech.”
In a redacted court filing made last month, the Justice Department argued ByteDance and TikTok haven’t raised valid free speech claims in their challenge against the law, saying the measure addresses national security concerns about TikTok’s ownership without targeting protected speech.
The Biden administration and TikTok had held talks in recent years aimed at resolving the government’s concerns. But the two sides failed to reach a deal.
TikTok said the government essentially walked away from the negotiating table after it proposed a 90-page agreement that detailed how the company planned to address concerns about the app while still maintaining ties with ByteDance.
However, the Justice Department has said TikTok’s proposal “failed to create sufficient separation between the company’s U.S. operations and China” and did not adequately address some of the government’s concerns.
The government has pointed to some data transfers between TikTok employees and ByteDance engineers in China as why it believed the proposal, called Project Texas, was not sufficient to guard against national security concerns. Federal officials have also argued that the size and scope of TikTok would have made it impossible to meaningfully enforce compliance with the proposal.
TikTok attorneys said Thursday that some of what the government views as inadequacies of the agreement were never raised during the negotiations.
Separately the DOJ on Thursday evening asked the court to submit evidence under seal, saying in a filing that the case contained information classified at “Top Secret” levels. TikTok has been opposing those requests.
Oral arguments in the case are scheduled to begin on Sept. 16.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Bayley, Cody Rhodes win WWE Royal Rumble 2024. What does that mean for WrestleMania 40?
- Scott Boras' very busy day: Four MLB free agent contracts and a Hall of Fame election
- Charles Osgood: Baltimore boy
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- California restaurant incorporates kitchen robots and AI
- Gisele Bündchen’s Mother Vania Nonnenmacher Dead at 75 After Cancer Battle
- Taylor Swift gets an early reason to celebrate at AFC title game as Travis Kelce makes a TD catch
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Central Park 5 exoneree and council member says police stopped him without giving a reason
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Zebras and camels rescued from trailer fire in Indiana
- Pedro Almodóvar has a book out this fall, a ‘fragmentary autobiography’ called ‘The Last Dream’
- California restaurant incorporates kitchen robots and AI
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Oklahoma City wants to steal New York's thunder with new tallest skyscraper in US
- Fans of This Hydrating Face Mask Include Me, Sydney Sweeney, and the Shoppers Who Buy 1 Every 12 Seconds
- New Orleans jury convicts man in fatal shooting of former Saints player Will Smith
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Suddenly unemployed in your 50s? What to do about insurance, savings and retirement.
Caroline Manzo sues Bravo over sexual harassment by Brandi Glanville on 'Real Housewives'
More highlights from the 2024 Sundance Film Festival
Trump's 'stop
How to mind your own business
Zebras, camels, pony graze Indiana highway after being rescued from semi-truck fire: Watch
Ravens QB Lamar Jackson catches own pass. That's right, Gisele, he throws and catches ball