Current:Home > reviewsNevada judge dismisses charges against 6 Republicans who falsely declared Trump the winner in 2020 -MarketLink
Nevada judge dismisses charges against 6 Republicans who falsely declared Trump the winner in 2020
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:35:03
A Nevada state court judge dismissed a criminal indictment Friday against six Republicans accused of submitting certificates to Congress falsely declaring former President Donald Trump the winner of the state's 2020 presidential election, a spokesperson for the Nevada attorney general confirmed to CBS News.
"We disagree with the judge's decision and will be appealing immediately," the spokesperson said.
The judge's ruling potentially kills the case, determining that state prosecutors chose the wrong venue to file.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford stood in a Las Vegas courtroom a moment after Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus delivered her ruling, declaring that he will take the case directly to the state Supreme Court.
"The judge got it wrong and we'll be appealing immediately," Ford told reporters afterward. He declined any additional comment.
The judge called off trial, which had been scheduled in January, for defendants that included the Nevada GOP chairman and prominent party leaders from the Las Vegas, Reno and Lake Tahoe areas. Each was charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument, felonies that carry penalties of up to four or five years in prison.
Defense attorneys bluntly declared the case dead, saying that to bring the case now to another grand jury in another venue such as the state capital city of Carson City would violate a three-year statute of limitations on filing charges that expired in December.
"They're done," said Margaret McLetchie, attorney for Clark County Republican party chairman Jesse Law, one of the defendants in the case.
The defendants were indicted in December. Among those charged was Nevada GOP chairman Michael McDonald.
"We cannot allow attacks on democracy to go unchallenged," Ford said at the time of the indictment. "Today's indictments are the product of a long and thorough investigation, and as we pursue this prosecution, I am confident that our judicial system will see justice done."
Nevada is one of seven presidential battleground states where slates of fake electors falsely certified that Trump had won in 2020, not President Biden.
Others are Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
Nevada may be a battleground state yet again, and Trump campaigned there earlier this month.
Criminal charges have been brought in Michigan, Georgia and Arizona.
— Robert Legare contributed to this report.
- In:
- Donald Trump
- Nevada
- Election
veryGood! (45644)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Fani Willis' court filing confirms romantic relationship with lawyer on Trump case but denies any conflict
- US bolsters defenses around Jordan base as it readies strikes in response to drone attack
- Why is Mayorkas being impeached? What to know about the House's push to punish the DHS secretary
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Bruce Springsteen Mourns Death of Mom Adele With Emotional Tribute
- Jelly Roll duets with Lainey Wilson, more highlights from Spotify's pre-Grammys party
- What Paul Nassif Really Thinks of Botched Costar Terry Dubrow Using Ozempic
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- 'Argylle' squanders its cast, but not its cat
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Bruce Springsteen Mourns Death of Mom Adele With Emotional Tribute
- Jim Harbaugh introduced as Chargers head coach: Five takeaways from press conference
- Fani Willis acknowledges a ‘personal relationship’ with prosecutor she hired in Trump’s Georgia case
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Bruce Springsteen's mother, Adele Springsteen, dies at 98
- US investigation of Tesla steering problems is upgraded and now one step closer to a recall
- Groundhog Day 2024: Trademark, bankruptcy, and the dollar that failed
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Carl Weathers, Rocky and The Mandalorian Star, Dead at 76
Carl Weathers, linebacker-turned-actor who starred in 'Rocky' movies, dies at 76
Where the jobs are: Strong hiring in most industries has far outpaced high-profile layoffs
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
'Argylle' squanders its cast, but not its cat
Canadian man buys winning $1 million scratch-off ticket same day his 2nd child was born
Wendy Williams says she has 'no money' in Lifetime documentary trailer