Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Exxon Ramps Up Free Speech Argument in Fighting Climate Fraud Investigations -MarketLink
Surpassing:Exxon Ramps Up Free Speech Argument in Fighting Climate Fraud Investigations
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 06:55:25
Stay informed about the latest climate,Surpassing energy and environmental justice news by email. Sign up for the ICN newsletter.
ExxonMobil turned the volume back up this week in its ongoing fight to block two states’ investigations into what it told investors about climate change risk, asserting once again that its First Amendment rights are being violated by politically motivated efforts to muzzle it.
In a 45-page document filed in federal court in New York, the oil giant continued to denounce New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey for what it called illegal investigations.
“Attorneys General, acting individually and as members of an unlawful conspiracy, determined that certain speech about climate change presented a barrier to their policy objectives, identified ExxonMobil as one source of that speech, launched investigations based on the thinnest of pretexts to impose costs and burdens on ExxonMobil for having spoken, and hoped their official actions would shift public discourse about climate policy,” Exxon’s lawyers wrote.
Healey and Schneiderman are challenging Exxon’s demand for a halt to their investigations into how much of what Exxon knew about climate change was disclosed to shareholders and consumers.
The two attorneys general have consistently maintained they are not trying to impose their will on Exxon in regard to climate change, but rather are exercising their power to protect their constituents from fraud. They have until Jan. 19 to respond to Exxon’s latest filing.
U.S. District Court Judge Valerie E. Caproni ordered written arguments from both sides late last year, signaling that she may be close to ruling on Exxon’s request.
Exxon, in its latest filing, repeated its longstanding arguments that Schneiderman’s and Healey’s investigations were knee-jerk reactions to an investigative series of articles published by InsideClimate News and later the Los Angeles Times. The investigations were based on Exxon’s own internal documents and interviews with scientists who worked for the company when it was studying the risks of climate change in the 1970s and 1980s and who warned executives of the consequences.
“The ease with which those articles are debunked unmasks them as flimsy pretexts incapable of justifying an unlawful investigation,” Exxon’s lawyers wrote in the document. InsideClimate News won numerous journalism awards for its series and was named a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for public service.
Exxon says the company’s internal knowledge of global warming was well within the mainstream thought on the issue at the time. It also claims that the “contours” of global warming “remain unsettled even today.”
Last year, the company’s shareholders voted by 62 percent to demand the oil giant annually report on climate risk, despite Exxon’s opposition to the request. In December, Exxon relented to investor pressure and told the Securities and Exchange Commission that it would strengthen its analysis and disclosure of the risks its core oil business faces from climate change and from government efforts to rein in carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels.
Exxon has been in federal court attempting to shut down the state investigations since June 2016, first fighting Massachusetts’s attorney general and later New York’s.
veryGood! (332)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Helene rainfall map: See rain totals around southern Appalachian Mountains
- Opinion: After Kirby Smart suffers under Alabama fist again, the Georgia coach seems to expect it
- Braves host Mets in doubleheader to determine last two NL playoff teams
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Katie Meyer's family 'extremely disappointed' Stanford didn't honor ex-goalie last week
- Timothée Chalamet Looks Unrecognizable With Hair and Mustache Transformation on Marty Supreme Set
- NFL Week 4 winners, losers: Steelers, Eagles pay for stumbles
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Jay Leno Shares Update 2 Years After Burn Accident and Motorcycle Crash
Ranking
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs appeals for release while he awaits sex trafficking trial
- Here’s how Helene and other storms dumped a whopping 40 trillion gallons of rain on the South
- Atlanta Braves and New York Mets players celebrate clinching playoff spots together
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Who's facing the most pressure in the NHL? Bruins, Jeremy Swayman at impasse
- Plans to build green spaces aimed at tackling heat, flooding and blight
- Colorado family sues after man dies from infection in jail in his 'blood and vomit'
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Helene wreaks havoc across Southeast | The Excerpt
Movie armorer’s conviction upheld in fatal ‘Rust’ set shooting by Alec Baldwin
Wisconsin city replaces ballot drop box after mayor carted it away
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Justice Department will launch civil rights review into 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre
Kris Kristofferson was ‘a walking contradiction,’ a renegade and pilgrim surrounded by friends
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs appeals for release while he awaits sex trafficking trial