Current:Home > FinanceFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security -MarketLink
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 06:34:10
Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centermoved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday. Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media. His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry's security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke's safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the "tragic death" of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the "likely significant public upset were a successful attack" on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
- A look at Prince Harry's legal battles against U.K. media
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an "honest opinion" and wasn't libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London's police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn't be used as "private bodyguards for the wealthy."
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
veryGood! (88)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Crowds line Dublin streets for funeral procession of The Pogues singer Shane MacGowan
- Some Californians released from prison will receive $2,400 under new state re-entry program
- A suspect stole a cop car, killed an officer and one other in Waltham, Massachusetts, officials say
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 'Transitions' explores the process of a mother's acceptance of her child's gender
- Kate Beckinsale Looks Unrecognizable After Debuting Blonde Bob Hair Transformation
- Despite latest wave of mass shootings, Senate Democrats struggle to bring attention to gun control
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Former congressman tapped as Democratic candidate in special election to replace George Santos
Ranking
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Man suspected of firing shotgun outside Jewish temple in upstate New York faces federal charges
- Army secretary fires top prosecutor over 2013 email questioning sexual assault claims
- Denny Laine, Moody Blues and Wings co-founder, dies at age 79
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher
- Selena Gomez Appears to Confirm She’s Dating Benny Blanco
- NFL Week 14 picks: Will Cowboys topple Eagles, turn playoff race on its head?
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Kate Beckinsale Looks Unrecognizable After Debuting Blonde Bob Hair Transformation
How The Beatles and John Lennon helped inspire my father's journey from India to New York
Movie Review: In ‘Poor Things,’ Emma Stone takes an unusual path to enlightenment
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Emma Stone fuels 'Poor Things,' an absurdist mix of sex, pastries and 'Frankenstein'
Lawsuit accuses NCAA of antitrust violation in college athlete transfer rule
Yankees' Juan Soto trade opens hot stove floodgates: MLB Winter Meetings winners, losers