Current:Home > FinanceBiden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier -MarketLink
Biden won’t participate in nonpartisan commission’s fall debates but proposes 2 with Trump earlier
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 05:05:05
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Wednesday said he will not participate in fall presidential debates sponsored by the nonpartisan commission that has organized them for more than three decades and instead proposed two debates with former President Donald Trump to be held earlier in the year.
Biden’s campaign proposed that the first debate between the presumptive Democratic and Republican nominees be held in late June and the second in September before early voting begins. Trump responded to the letter in an interview with Fox News digital, calling the proposed dates “fully acceptable to me” and joked about providing his own transportation.
Biden, in a post on X, the site formerly known as Twitter, sought to needle his rival, saying, “Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020, since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal.”
The Democrat suggested that the two candidates could pick some dates, taking a dig at Trump’s ongoing New York hush money trial by noting that the Republican is “free on Wednesdays,” the usual day off in the trial.
Biden campaign chair Jen O’Malley Dillon on Wednesday sent a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates to say that Biden would not participate in its announced debates, choosing instead to participate in debates hosted by news organizations. The Biden campaign objected to the fall dates selected by the commission — which come after some Americans begin to vote — repeating a complaint also raised by the Trump campaign.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s complete coverage of this year’s election.
Biden’s campaign has long-held a grudge against the nonpartisan commission for failing to evenly apply its rules during the 2020 Biden-Trump matchups — most notably when it didn’t enforce its COVID-19 testing rules on Trump and his entourage — and Biden’s team has held talks with television networks and some Republicans about ways to circumvent the commission’s grip on presidential debates.
The president first indicated he would be willing to debate Trump during an interview with the radio host Howard Stern last month, telling him that “I am, somewhere. I don’t know when. But I’m happy to debate him.”
Biden indicated again last week that he was preparing to debate, telling reporters as he was leaving a White House event: “Set it up.”
Trump has repeatedly dared Biden to debate him, keeping a second podium open at rallies and claiming that his rival would not be up for the task.
Trump, too, has taken issue with the debate commission, but he and his team have maintained that they don’t care who hosts the debates as long as they happen.
The Trump campaign issued a statement on May 1 that objected to the scheduled debates by the Commission on Presidential Debates, saying that the schedule “begins AFTER early voting” and that “this is unacceptable” because voters deserve to hear from the candidates before ballots are cast.
Trump said at a Pennsylvania rally before his hush money trial began that the debates were needed.
“We have to debate because our country is going in the wrong direction so badly,” Trump said with the empty podium next to him. “We have to explain to the American people what the hell is going on.”
veryGood! (819)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Taylor Swift announces 1989 (Taylor's Version) is on its way: My most favorite re-record I've ever done
- Malaysia warns owners of LGBTQ-themed Swatch watches could face jail time
- 'I was being a dad': Embattled school leader's heated exchange with reporter caps disastrous week
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Indiana man indicted in threats made to Michigan municipal clerk following 2020 election
- Lenny Wilkens tells how Magic Johnson incited Michael Jordan during lazy Dream Team practice
- Classes still off early next week in Kentucky’s largest school district due to bus schedule mess
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Michigan police detained a Black child who was in the ‘wrong place, wrong time,’ department says
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Madonna Celebrates Son Rocco’s Birthday With Heartfelt Tribute
- Hawaii trauma surgeon says Maui hospital is holding up really well amid wildfires
- Fiction writers fear the rise of AI, but also see it as a story to tell
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- In 'Red, White & Royal Blue,' a director centers true queer intimacy on screen
- Gal Gadot Reacts to Margot Robbie Wishing She Would Have Played Barbie
- Indiana man indicted in threats made to Michigan municipal clerk following 2020 election
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Michigan WR Roman Wilson watches hometown burn in Hawaii wildfires: 'They need everything'
A man posed as a veterinarian and performed surgery on a pregnant dog who died, authorities say
Illinois Supreme Court upholds state's ban on semiautomatic weapons
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Caring for people with fentanyl addiction often means treating terrible wounds
Travis Barker's Ex Shanna Moakler Defends Daughter Alabama's Rap Career
Leaders' arrogance and envy doomed the Pac-12