Current:Home > MyEthermac|In Exxon Climate Fraud Case, Judge Rejects Defense Tactic that Attacked the Prosecutor -MarketLink
Ethermac|In Exxon Climate Fraud Case, Judge Rejects Defense Tactic that Attacked the Prosecutor
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 05:32:20
ExxonMobil has suffered yet another setback in its legal fight to derail a climate fraud case by the New York Attorney General’s office.
A ruling on EthermacWednesday by New York Supreme Court Judge Barry Ostrager prohibits Exxon from raising the claim of prosecutorial misconduct as a defense against allegations by the attorney general that the company engaged in a scheme to deceive investors by providing false or misleading assurances that it was managing economic risks posed by climate change.
In the wake of a four-count civil complaint last year, Exxon floated as one of many possible defenses contentions that the attorney general was selectively enforcing the law and violating what it said were the company’s First Amendment right to free speech and Fourteenth Amendment right to due process.
Exxon contended it became a target of prosecutors because its position on climate change did not align with that of the attorney general’s, and it said the attorney general’s office had colluded with climate activist organizations to punish the company. (The investigation was first opened by former attorney general Eric Schneiderman and continued by his successors.)
In a brief, handwritten ruling, Ostrager dismissed Exxon’s contention of prosecutorial conflict of interest and misconduct, but he left open the possibility of allowing the company to claim selective enforcement by prosecutors. The judge withheld his ruling on selective enforcement pending the filing of additional arguments.
Although the court’s action guts most of Exxon’s prosecutorial misconduct defense, the company remains poised to raise more than two dozen other defenses, including that it did not breach its duty to disclose relevant facts related to climate risk and that market conditions were responsible for any losses rather than any conduct by Exxon. A trial date has been set for Oct. 23.
The ruling on Wednesday parallels a decision last year by a federal court judge who rejected similar misconduct claims by Exxon. U.S. District Judge Valerie Caproni dismissed the company’s arguments, saying in part, there was no suggestion of a political vendetta by the authorities investigating Exxon.
veryGood! (85)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- As New York’s Offshore Wind Work Begins, an Environmental Justice Community Is Waiting to See the Benefits
- Mississippi’s 2024 recreational red snapper season opens Friday
- 'The Voice' finale: Reba McEntire scores victory with soulful powerhouse Asher HaVon
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Is McDonald's nixing free refills? Here's what to know as chain phases out self-serve drink machines
- Kathryn Dennis of 'Southern Charm' arrested on suspicion of DUI after 3-car collision
- Twins a bit nauseous after season of wild streaks hits new low: 'This is next-level stuff'
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Priyanka Chopra Debuts Bob Haircut to Give Better View of $43 Million Jewels
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Stock market today: Asian shares edge lower after Wall Street sets more records
- Corn, millet and ... rooftop solar? Farm family’s newest crop shows China’s solar ascendancy
- Zhang Zhan, imprisoned for ‘provoking trouble’ while reporting on COVID in China, is released
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Will America lose Red Lobster? Changing times bring sea change to menu, history, outlook
- Mississippi’s 2024 recreational red snapper season opens Friday
- Cupshe’s Memorial Day Sale Is Here: Score up to 85% off Summer-Ready Swimsuits, Coverups & More
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Thailand welcomes home trafficked 1,000-year-old statues returned by New York’s Metropolitan Museum
Russia begins nuclear drills in an apparent warning to West over Ukraine
Russia begins nuclear drills in an apparent warning to West over Ukraine
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
UN food agency warns that the new US sea route for Gaza aid may fail unless conditions improve
Report says there was ‘utter chaos’ during search for Maine gunman, including intoxicated deputies
Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits still available in stores amid location closures, bankruptcy