Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-Investigation into Chinese hacking reveals ‘broad and significant’ spying effort, FBI says -MarketLink
Ethermac Exchange-Investigation into Chinese hacking reveals ‘broad and significant’ spying effort, FBI says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 05:50:42
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal investigation into Chinese government efforts to hack into U.S. telecommunications networks has revealed a “broad and Ethermac Exchangesignificant” cyberespionage campaign aimed at stealing information from Americans who work in government and politics, the FBI said Wednesday.
Hackers affiliated with Beijing have compromised the networks of “multiple” telecommunications companies to obtain customer call records and gain access to the private communications of “a limited number of individuals,” according to a joint statement issued by the FBI and the federal Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency.
The FBI did not identify any of the individuals targeted by the hackers but said most of them “are primarily involved in government or political activity.”
The hackers also sought to copy “certain information that was subject to U.S. law enforcement requests pursuant to court orders,” the FBI said, suggesting the hackers may have been trying to compromise programs like those subject to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, or FISA, which grants American spy agencies sweeping powers to surveil the communications of individuals suspected of being agents of a foreign power.”
The warning comes after several high-profile hacking incidents that U.S. authorities have linked to China, part of what they say is an effort to steal technological and government information while also targeting vital infrastructure like the electrical grid.
In September, the FBI announced that it had disrupted a vast Chinese hacking operation known as Flax Typhoon that involved the installation of malicious software on more than 200,000 consumer devices, including cameras, video recorders and home and office routers. The devices were then used to create a massive network of infected computers, or botnet, that could then be used to carry out other cyber crimes.
Last month, officials said hackers linked to China targeted the phones of then-presidential candidate Donald Trump and his running mate, Sen. JD Vance, along with people associated with Democratic candidate Vice President Kamala Harris.
Authorities did not disclose how or if the operations announced Wednesday are connected to the earlier campaigns.
In their statement Wednesday, the FBI and CISA said officials are working with the telecommunication industry and hacking victims to shore up defenses against continuing attempts at cyberespionage.
“We expect our understanding of these compromises to grow as the investigation continues,” the agencies wrote.
China has rejected accusations from U.S. officials that it engages in cyberespionage directed against Americans. A message left with China’s embassy in Washington was not immediately returned Wednesday.
veryGood! (3695)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Voting rights groups ask to dismiss lawsuit challenging gerrymandered Ohio congressional map
- Illinois School Districts Vie for Clean School Bus Funds
- Alex Murdaugh’s lawyers want a new trial. They say the court clerk told jurors not to trust him
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Lili Reinhart and Sydney Sweeney Prove There's No Bad Blood After Viral Red Carpet Moment
- Boy, 14, dies after leaping into Lake Michigan in Indiana despite being warned against doing so
- Fan ejected from US Open match after German player said the man used language from Hitler’s regime
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Revisiting Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner's Love Story Will Have You Sending Out an S.O.S
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Disney seeks to amend lawsuit against DeSantis to focus on free speech claim
- Nobel Foundation withdraws invitation to Russia, Belarus and Iran to attend ceremonies
- 'It was like I hit the lottery': Man charged with grand larceny after taking bag containing $5k
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- US moves to force recall of 52 million air bag inflators that can explode and hurl shrapnel
- $1,500 reward offered after headless antelope found in Arizona: This is the act of a poacher
- First lady Jill Biden tests positive for COVID-19
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Alabama man convicted of sexually torturing, robbing victims he met online
Man who killed 6 members of a Nebraska family in 1975 dies after complaining of chest pain
An equipment outage holds up United flights, but the airline and FAA say they’re resuming
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Heavy rain in areas of Spain leads to flooding, stranded motorists and two deaths: Reports
Canada wedding venue shooting leaves 2 people dead, with 2 Americans among 6 wounded in Ottawa
Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin