Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns -MarketLink
Indexbit Exchange:Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 05:29:18
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hollywood’s video game performers voted to go on Indexbit Exchangestrike Thursday, throwing part of the entertainment industry into another work stoppage after talks for a new contract with major game studios broke down over artificial intelligence protections.
The strike — the second for video game voice actors and motion capture performers under the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists — will begin at 12:01 a.m. Friday. The move comes after nearly two years of negotiations with gaming giants, including divisions of Activision, Warner Bros. and Walt Disney Co., over a new interactive media agreement.
SAG-AFTRA negotiators say gains have been made over wages and job safety in the video game contract, but that the studios will not make a deal over the regulation of generative AI. Without guardrails, game companies could train AI to replicate an actor’s voice, or create a digital replica of their likeness without consent or fair compensation, the union said.
Fran Drescher, the union’s president, said in a prepared statement that members would not approve a contract that would allow companies to “abuse AI.”
“Enough is enough. When these companies get serious about offering an agreement our members can live — and work — with, we will be here, ready to negotiate,” Drescher said.
A representative for the studios did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment.
The global video game industry generates well over $100 billion dollars in profit annually, according to game market forecaster Newzoo. The people who design and bring those games to life are the driving force behind that success, SAG-AFTRA said.
“Eighteen months of negotiations have shown us that our employers are not interested in fair, reasonable AI protections, but rather flagrant exploitation,” said Interactive Media Agreement Negotiating Committee Chair Sarah Elmaleh.
Last month, union negotiators told The Associated Press that the game studios refused to “provide an equal level of protection from the dangers of AI for all our members” — specifically, movement performers.
Members voted overwhelmingly last year to give leadership the authority to strike. Concerns about how movie studios will use AI helped fuel last year’s film and television strikes by the union, which lasted four months.
The last interactive contract, which expired November 2022, did not provide protections around AI but secured a bonus compensation structure for voice actors and performance capture artists after an 11-month strike that began October 2016. That work stoppage marked the first major labor action from SAG-AFTRA following the merger of Hollywood’s two largest actors unions in 2012.
The video game agreement covers more than 2,500 “off-camera (voiceover) performers, on-camera (motion capture, stunt) performers, stunt coordinators, singers, dancers, puppeteers, and background performers,” according to the union.
Amid the tense interactive negotiations, SAG-AFTRA created a separate contract in February that covered indie and lower-budget video game projects. The tiered-budget independent interactive media agreement contains some of the protections on AI that video game industry titans have rejected.
veryGood! (9236)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Jordan Chiles Breaks Silence on Significant Blow of Losing Olympic Medal
- Gabourey Sidibe Shares Sweet Photo of Her 4-Month-Old Twin Babies
- Anchorage police shoot, kill teenage girl who had knife; 6th police shooting in 3 months
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 2025 COLA estimate dips with inflation, but high daily expenses still burn seniors
- Oklahoma city approves $7M settlement for man wrongfully imprisoned for decades
- ATTN: The Viral UGG Tazz Slippers Are in Stock RN, Get Them Before They Sell out Ahead of Fall
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Indiana Fever to host 2025 WNBA All-Star game
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- White House says deals struck to cut prices of popular Medicare drugs that cost $50 billion yearly
- Hideki Matsuyama will be without regular caddie, coach after their passports and visas were stolen
- Jordan Chiles Vows Justice Will Be Served After Losing Medal Appeal
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Wisconsin’s Evers urges federal judge not to make changes at youth prison in wake of counselor death
- Democrats try to block Green Party from presidential ballot in Wisconsin, citing legal issues
- Detroit judge orders sleepy teenage girl on field trip to be handcuffed, threatens jail
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
The wife of Republican Wisconsin US Senate candidate Hovde takes aim at female Democratic incumbent
'Jackpot!' star John Cena loves rappers, good coffee and a fine tailored suit
In Mississippi, discovery of elephant fossil from the ice age provides window into the past
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Matthew Perry Investigation: At Least One Arrest Made in Connection to Actor's Death
Naomi Osaka receives US Open wild card as she struggles to regain form after giving birth
At least 1 arrest made in connection to Matthew Perry’s death, authorities say