Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Judge says $475,000 award in New Hampshire youth center abuse case would be ‘miscarriage of justice’ -MarketLink
Burley Garcia|Judge says $475,000 award in New Hampshire youth center abuse case would be ‘miscarriage of justice’
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 05:04:54
CONCORD,Burley Garcia N.H. (AP) — The judge who oversaw a landmark trial over abuse at New Hampshire’s youth detention center says capping the verdict at $475,000 as the state proposes would be an “unconscionable miscarriage of justice.”
In a lengthy order issued Wednesday, Judge Andrew Schulman outlined five options for addressing the dispute that arose after a jury awarded $38 million to a man who said he was beaten and raped hundreds of times at the Youth Development Center but found the state liable for only one incident of abuse. Jurors weren’t told that state law caps claims against the state at $475,000 per “incident,” and some later said they wrote “one” to reflect a single case of post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from more than 100 episodes of physical, sexual and emotional abuse.
“The cognitive dissonance between a $38 million verdict and the finding of a ‘single incident’ of actionable abuse cannot stand,” wrote Schulman, who acknowledged that he should have instructed the jury more clearly.
Schulman already has rejected what he called the two worst options: reconvening the jury or questioning them about their decision. The latter would mean no verdict would have finality because jurors could upend them based on little more than “buyer’s remorse,” he wrote.
He appeared equally against the third option, granting the state’s motion to apply the damages cap to the single “incident” found by the jury.
“There was plainly more than one incident,” he wrote. “Entering a verdict of $475,000, when the only proper verdict is many multiples of that number would be a gross and unconscionable miscarriage of justice.”
That leaves two options: ordering a new trial or adjusting the number of incidents on the verdict form. Schulman said a new trial would be a “legally correct” but extremely burdensome choice that could delay justice not only for the plaintiff, David Meehan, but the more than 1,100 other former residents of the youth center who have filed similar lawsuits. He also noted that another monthlong trial could be harmful to Meehan’s mental health.
“The least incorrect” option, Schulman said, might be something akin to a process by which a judge can add damages to an original amount awarded by the jury if a defendant waives a new trial. He calculated that the lowest reasonable number of incidents was 155 and proposed reducing that by 25% as a “large deliberate error” in the state’s favor.
“Although the determination of witness credibility is not the court’s to make, in the court’s eyes, the plaintiff was a most credible witness,” he wrote. “No reasonable jury could have accepted the gist of plaintiff’s testimony, awarded $38 million in damages, and found less than 116 incidents.”
Meehan, 42, went to police in 2017 and sued the state three years later. Since then, 11 former state workers have been arrested though charges against one of them were dropped after he was found incompetent to stand trial.
Over the four-week trial, Meehan’s attorneys argued that the state encouraged a culture of abuse marked by pervasive brutality, corruption and a code of silence. The state, which portrayed Meehan as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and delusional adult, argued that he waited too long to sue and that it shouldn’t be held liable for the actions of “rogue” employees.
A hearing on the verdict dispute is scheduled for next month.
veryGood! (428)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Near-collision between NASA spacecraft, Russian satellite was shockingly close − less than 10 meters apart
- Israel lashes out as U.S. expected to cut aid to IDF battalion over alleged human rights violations
- Masked men stop vehicle carrying Mexico's leading presidential candidate, Claudia Sheinbaum
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Alleged poison mushroom killer of 3, Erin Patterson, appears in Australian court again
- Both bodies found five days after kayaks capsized going over a dangerous dam in Indianapolis
- Romance scammers turn victims into money mules, creating a legal minefield for investigators
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Nikola Jokic’s brother reportedly involved in an altercation after the Nuggets beat the Lakers
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Alabama lawmakers OK bill blocking state incentives to companies that voluntarily recognize unions
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami expected to draw record-setting crowd in New England on Saturday
- Federal money eyed for Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library in North Dakota
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- NFL draft boom-or-bust prospects: Drake Maye among 11 players offering high risk, reward
- Donald Trump is about to become $1.2 billion richer. Here's why.
- Alabama lawmakers OK bill blocking state incentives to companies that voluntarily recognize unions
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
UnitedHealth says wide swath of patient files may have been taken in Change cyberattack
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Breaking Free
You Might've Missed Henry Cavill's Pregnant Girlfriend Natalie Viscuso's My Super Sweet 16 Cameo
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Transgender Louisianans lost their ally in the governor’s seat. Now they’re girding for a fight
Both bodies found five days after kayaks capsized going over a dangerous dam in Indianapolis
Vibrant and beloved ostrich dies after swallowing zoo staffer's keys, Kansas zoo says