Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-New Jersey denies bulkhead for shore town with wrecked sand dunes -MarketLink
SignalHub-New Jersey denies bulkhead for shore town with wrecked sand dunes
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 10:00:20
NORTH WILDWOOD,SignalHub N.J. (AP) — New Jersey is refusing to allow a shore town whose sand dunes have washed away in places to build a bulkhead to protect itself, ruling that no one is in imminent danger.
The state Department of Environmental Protection told North Wildwood on Wednesday it will not give permission to the city to build a steel bulkhead on a section of beach where the dunes have been completely obliterated by storms.
That prompted Mayor Patrick Rosenello to say Thursday the city will move in appellate court for permission to build the barrier, which the state says will likely only worsen erosion from the force of waves bashing against it and scouring away any sand in front of it.
“Obviously we are very disappointed in the DEP’s continued lack of concern regarding shore protection in North Wildwood,” he said. “The department has failed to do its job and now they are trying to thwart our efforts to protect ourselves. Frankly, it is unconscionable.”
In a letter from the DEP received by North Wildwood on Wednesday, the agency said it visited the site and determined there is no imminent risk to life or property near the dune breach. It said a public walkway and a stormwater management system are between 100 and 160 feet from the eastern edge of the dunes, and that the nearest private homes are 200 feet from it.
“A bulkhead, if it were to experience direct wave attack in this location, is likely to increase erosion to the beach and dune system,” Colleen Keller, assistant director of the DEP’s division of land resource protection, wrote. Without careful collaboration with the state including the use of other shore protection methods, “a bulkhead could exacerbate, rather than alleviate conditions during future storms.”
It was the latest in a years-long battle between the city and the state over how to protect North Wildwood, one of the most erosion-prone spots in New Jersey’s 127-mile (204-kilometer) shoreline.
New Jersey has fined the town $12 million for unauthorized beach repairs that it says could worsen erosion, while the city is suing to recoup the $30 million it has spent trucking sand to the site for over a decade.
But trucking in sand is no longer an option, the mayor said, adding that erosion has created choke points along the beach that are too narrow to let dump trucks pass.
North Wildwood has asked the state for emergency permission to build a steel bulkhead along the most heavily eroded section of its beachfront — something it previously did in two other spots.
The DEP prefers the sort of beach replenishment projects carried out for decades by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, where massive amounts of sand are pumped from offshore onto eroded beaches, widening them and creating sand dunes to protect the property behind them.
Virtually the entire New Jersey coastline has received such projects. But in North Wildwood, legal approvals and property easements from private landowners have thus far prevented one from happening.
Although the last two towns required to sign off on a sand replenishment project did so a year ago, the project still needs a final go-ahead. When it gets that, the work will probably take two years to complete, officials say.
On several occasions, North Wildwood carried out emergency repairs, including construction of an earlier bulkhead without approval from the state. Shawn LaTourette, New Jersey’s environment protection commissioner, warned the town last July that unauthorized work could have more serious consequences if it continues, including potential loss of future shore protection funding.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X, formerly Twitter, at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (7991)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- The US is restricting visas for nearly 300 Guatemalan lawmakers, others for ‘undermining democracy’
- Air Force disciplines 15 as IG finds that security failures led to massive classified documents leak
- Bronny James makes college basketball debut for USC after cardiac arrest
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Several seriously injured when construction site elevator crashes to the ground in Sweden
- Jennifer Aniston Says Sex Scene With Jon Hamm Was Awkward Enough Without This
- Vanessa Hudgens Had a High School Musical Reunion at Her Wedding
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Zelenskyy will arrive on Capitol Hill to grim mood as Biden’s aid package for Ukraine risks collapse
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Texas woman who sought court permission for abortion leaves state for the procedure, attorneys say
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 14: Cowboys' NFC shake-up caps wild weekend
- Hunter Biden pushes for dismissal of gun case, saying law violates the Second Amendment
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Teacher, CAIR cite discrimination from Maryland schools for pro-Palestinian phrase
- An unpublished poem by 'The Big Sleep' author Raymond Chandler is going to print
- What to know about abortion lawsuits being heard in US courts this week
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Narges Mohammadi, Iranian activist and Nobel peace prize winner, to go on new hunger strike as prize is awarded
Jennifer Aniston Says Sex Scene With Jon Hamm Was Awkward Enough Without This
The US is restricting visas for nearly 300 Guatemalan lawmakers, others for ‘undermining democracy’
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Cowboys-Eagles Sunday Night Football highlights: Dallas gets playoff picture-altering win
Man charged with terrorism over a fire at South African Parliament is declared unfit to stand trial
Denver Broncos QB Russell Wilson and singer Ciara welcome daughter Amora Princess